Our journey home was very very long. Sunday travel is never good, there are always maintenance works on the railways. And the dreaded replacement bus services.... We had taken a long journey on the underground, another train journey (standing, as there were no seats) and then we had to get the replacement bus. We missed one by a few minutes, so had to wait nearly an hour for the next. We eventually got on it, and just as we were about ten minutes away from home, the driver stopped to let some people on. Big mistake!
The bus driver refused to let them on because they didn't have tickets, and besides they wanted to travel in the other direction. One man however, refused to listen. He said that it was impossible for him to buy tickets as the ticket office was closed and the driver couldn't sell them, so he was getting in the bus anyway. He came in and sat down on the seat in front of us. The bus driver came over and started yelling at him to get off, or he would call the police, but the man stood his ground and shouted back. It was quite scary. The driver rang the bus company, who told him to ring the police, which he did. We had to wait for a while until they arrived. VH and I spoke to him a little; I did understand his point of view, as he did not have a way of getting tickets. When the police arrived, they asked him to leave the bus, but he refused. They said that he could not remain on the bus because he was holding everybody else up, and people had lives to get back to. When they threatened to remove him by force, he eventually got off, swearing at them. I was very impressed with the way the police handled the situation, and also very relieved when he left. I wonder what happened to him, he was still arguing with the police as we drove off. He was incredibly selfish, causing a scene just to try to prove a point, but I also think that this demonstrates how useless public transport is in this country.
What a shame that such a good day out was spoilt by such a selfish bugger. You know I'd never have the nerve to do that - I'd want to and would probably suggest it if I was in a little group but to do it alone - never. Mind you, it does seem silly that he couldn't have bought a ticket on the bus.
ReplyDeleteYes, that guy had some nerve to do that, especially after the bus driver threatened to call the police. It was not a good way to spend a Sunday night. But yes, he should have been able to buy a ticket on the bus.
ReplyDelete