It's the weekend, and I haven't blogged for a while, so I thought I'd let you know I am still here.... We just had a school friend and her husband over to visit for the afternoon. It was really nice to catch up with them, as we hardly see them anymore now we no longer live next door like we did we were growing up. My friend and I were inseparable as children/teenagers, and interchangeable. As we grew up, we grew apart, but still remain in contact. The last time we saw them was at our wedding over a year ago, and the time we both saw them was at her wedding three years ago. Veggie Hubby had never even properly met them - just on these formal occasions. We have decided to meet up again in the summer, to go to the beach!
Two weeks ago we went to visit friends who live up north, and next weekend we're going to visit family (including my goddaughter) to the west. It's always nice to have friends live nearby; it is something we lack here. We do not even know our (elderly) neighbours in our block of flats well, and are in a pocket of isolation as we don't have any friends in our town. I think it's sad as our friends and family live around the country - and in other countries - everyone is dispersed. I think it is important to keep in touch but takes an effort to meet up with busy lives. So my moral for the day is to make the effort to keep in contact with friends and family, because they are what matters in life.
The Hubster and I feel like this all the time... we're quite isolated from our family and friends where we are and can't wait to move this spring! :)
ReplyDeleteWe were in a somewhat similar situation back when we were in Waterloo, tough we got to see my fiancée's Toronto relatives more often. It's a bit better now that we're in Ottawa. Is there a particular reason for you to stay in Marlow much longer? Moving out of the middle of nowhere and closer to others does help in keeping in touch...
ReplyDeleteYou are quite special in having such a national and international range of friends and family. I remember VH saying something at your wedding about your gift for friendship. Well done and keep going!
ReplyDeleteShop Girl - It's not long now then before you will move, hooray! :-)
ReplyDeletePJ - Good you are out of Waterloo! We stay here for lots of reasons. We couldn't find anywhere else to live close enough to my work that we liked. We also love our cozy flat, and don't want to go through the stress of moving again. It also isn't exactly in the middle of no-where, it is close to lots of places even London (it's no Chicoutimi!) - it is just that the trains only go once an hour from here. We don't have one single place where we have lots of our friends and family. Whatever VeggieHubby says, he likes it here too. :-)
Frankofile - Thanks :-)