Monday, 18 May 2009

In the news

UK news....
1) It wasn't Jade's time, but it was Norway's fairytale win. I don't mind too much, at least the UK coming 5th in Eurovision shows that Europe doesn't hate us.
2) MPs spend our money buying chandeliers, heating swimming pools, flatscreen TVs, paying off mortgages they've already paid off. Surprise, surprise, MPs are dishonest, it makes me feel sick, as do their rules (designed by MPs, for MPs) that such extravagent spending of public money is justified.
3) Jordan and Peter split up :-( Yes, it was inevitable that it would someday happen, but somehow I believed that despite their arguments, they could survive. It saddens me, especially for their kids whom Peter adores. (OK, not really 'news' but it interests me).
4) Swine flu has arrived! I know someone who was scarily close to catching it. However, so far it seems quite mild outside Mexico, & I'm hoping it stays that way.
VC news...
1) I have four days of work left, including some days out of the office, and then a week off! No plans yet but hopefully will catch up with some friends, and have a barbecue.
2) I am trying to read lots recently, as I have loads of library books to get through, and then some of my own which I couldn't resist buying, including Twilight, Q&A (Slumdog Millionaire book), and the Booker Prize winner, White Tiger.

6 comments:

  1. I like to look for the grains of goodness: the Eurovision performers gave their all; MPs are some reflection of our society with the full range of admirable - ok - corrupt; Peter loves his children and I hope that survives; swine flu is not a real peril for us in the rich countries. Then there are the downsides, which get our steam up. As they should.

    Have a relaxing break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH I LOVED Twilight!!! It was such a nice frivolous read. The writing is not spectacular, but the story is WONDERFUL. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many people are talking about 'Twilight'. From the blurb I've read about it I don't think it would ring my bells but everyone is different.

    As for Eurovision - I loved that Icelandic song and wanted it to win. I thought the Norwegian song was a bit silly and insipid.

    Have a good week off - hope the weather is kind

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankofile- You always seem to look on the bright side of life. There don't seem to be many admirable MPs, but a small minority didn't claim.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8048215.stm

    Shop Girl* - I'm looking foward to reading Twilight, following it's high sales and your reviews!

    FF- Thanks. I'm not sure if Twilight will be my cup of tea either, but I'll give it a go, to keep up with popular culture (like a sheep!).

    I thought Norway was fun but there were better (and worse) on the night. My favourite song was Azerbaijan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That girl that was half of the duo from Azerbaijan was stunning, one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen - lucky cow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, she was stunning yet the guy was kind of ugly (why is it always that way around?)

    ReplyDelete