Following on from my post asking for suggestions for my blog, I would like to thank Shop Girl who wanted to know about a secret love of mine.
I would love to hear about something that you secretly LOVE but don't normally tell other people about. It can be a thing, a food, a hobby, a band... anything.
This 'secret love' implies to me something that I am embarassed/ashamed of, but yet enjoy. A guilty pleasure. I don't know if I have anything so secret from my friends and family, but there are perhaps things I would rather not admit to. Like, a love of trashy TV. It is shameful, but sometimes I just like to leave my brain behind when I watch TV. I will probably give any reality TV a go. Big Brother is incredibly popular here in the UK, a bunch of wannabes living together in a house. It surprisingly entertaining..... as it is interesting to watch their relationships develop, watch them argue etc.
I wouldn't say that all of the reality TV that I watch is so embarrassing as this one, I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy Strictly Come Dancing, or The Apprentice, and these are my favourite programmes of the genre. They are much smarter, and the contestents actually a) are not completely shallow b) actually learn something, and improve themselves. So I wouldn't say these are secret loves, but watching Big Brother definitely is. In fact, I even watched it on the first morning as a married woman; as the 2007 final was on my wedding day so I missed it, and so I watched the repeat. I look forward to Big Brother 2008.
I love cheesy TV and films. I would much rather watch somthing like Hotel Babylon than a programme I have to concenrate on!
ReplyDeleteYou're right that some reality shows can have positive values. Maybe there's stuff to be learned from Big Brother too - but it steals so many hours away! Moderation in all things, and a little of what you fancy etc.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh I'm also a sucker for programs like that... haha! I watched Big Brother a bit last summer as my mother in law LOVES it. I'm more into those sappy-predictable-trashy-soap-opera type shows like Grey's Anatomy. *sigh* Ohhh McDreamy... :)
ReplyDeleteJules - Thanks for your comment. I love all sorts of cheesy tv and films too, I agree tv is for relaxing not concentrating too much.
ReplyDeleteFrankofile - I don't watch rubbish tv all the time, in fact hardly at all these days.
Shop Girl* - I love soap operas too.. well Neighbours specifically (Australian). I can't say I've watched Grey's Anatomy, but my absolute favourite programme is Desperate Housewives.
I'm sure I'm watching more trashy tv than you now!
ReplyDelete