Making cakes gives me an ethical dilemma though. I feel guilty about eating eggs. I never used to feel this way before, but after watching recent documentaries about chicken farming, I feel bad even eating free-range eggs like the ones used in this cake. Male chicks are economically worthless, as they are unable to produce eggs (obviously!) and chicken meat is a made from different breed, so they are gassed. I was already feeling guilty about this when breaking the eggs for the cake, and to make it worse, I broke one that was slightly bloody inside, a young embryo. I was a bit disgusted. Having said this though, there is no way that I could ever be vegan, my diet would just be too limited and almost VeggieHubby has enough difficulties with me being vegetarian as it is.
Sunday, 9 March 2008
Marble cake
Making cakes gives me an ethical dilemma though. I feel guilty about eating eggs. I never used to feel this way before, but after watching recent documentaries about chicken farming, I feel bad even eating free-range eggs like the ones used in this cake. Male chicks are economically worthless, as they are unable to produce eggs (obviously!) and chicken meat is a made from different breed, so they are gassed. I was already feeling guilty about this when breaking the eggs for the cake, and to make it worse, I broke one that was slightly bloody inside, a young embryo. I was a bit disgusted. Having said this though, there is no way that I could ever be vegan, my diet would just be too limited and almost VeggieHubby has enough difficulties with me being vegetarian as it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We could have got rid of the embryo and put the egg in the recipe, but I guess that would have raised too many ethical questions.
ReplyDeleteIt was also totally gross.
ReplyDeleteI agree that at least it's better to bake your own treats.
ReplyDeleteps interesting to see you two communicating via internet instead of / as well as? in person.
I think it's just because Caroline wanted to witness to the world that the embryo was gross. We do talk a lot, don't worry.
ReplyDeleteI looooooooove marble cake. The first one I ever baked was a disaster!! It took me a couple of tries to master the "swirled look" but they do get easier!! haha I'm sure yours was delicious. :)
ReplyDeleteLol, it isn't much of a 'marble' cake is it! I will have to make it again to try to make it more swirly, what a tragedy that I will have to eat another cake for the sake of art.
ReplyDelete