Last night it was snowing here, in October! It had been raining heavily beforehand, so the snow didn't settle, but it was beautiful nevertheless. I find that there is always something quite exciting about snow. Veggie Hubby and I decided to go for a walk in it, but it was so cold, I was glad to be back in the warm again when we got home.
This morning it was freezing too. I couldn't open any of my car doors, they were all frozen in. Very annoying when you want to get to work and can't even get into your car, and even more annoying when you see neighbours get in their cars and drive off. I never even realised that it was possible for a door to be so frozen it can't open, having a car door that opens is just something I take for granted every morning. I didn't know what to do, but following some advice from a man in a garage, I filled up a large bucket with warm water, carted it down all of the stairs from our top floor flat and threw it over the car, getting soaked in the process! It worked though, I was able to open the door at last, and drive to work, albeit an hour later than usual.
I am also interested in the current scandal in the media with Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, who left lewd messages on the answerphone of a 78 year-old man (the actor Andrew Sachs) about his granddaughter on their radio show. This story makes a change from all of the dull stories about the recession and the 'credit crunch.' I do think it is being blown out of all proportion when there are worse things going on in the world (even Gordon Brown felt the need to make a statement, and 20, 000 people have complained to the BBC) but still I was very shocked when I heard about it for the first time. They behaved really irresponsibly, not like adults, but like immature school boys, and their 'prank' wasn't funny. We should respect others; there is nothing worse than bullying. It makes it worse that he is a harmless old man. Imagine how Jonathan Ross would have felt if someone had left obscene messages on his answer phone about his daughters, surely he should have seen that he had overstepped the mark? It is unbelievable that Jonathan Ross has a contract worth £18 million. I never liked either of them much, especially Russell Brand, and I am glad that they have both been suspended from the BBC over their unacceptable behaviour, and Russell has resigned. Good riddance!
We had our first snow yesterday too, but it stuck (it'll be gone by Halloween, it's been a while since I've seen a white Halloween...). The car doors sometimes get frozen shut too, but only if there's a sudden, dramatic drop in temperature. The locks are annoying at both very high and very low temperatures too (they don't work properly, particularly they won't lock from the inside). But since I'm using public transit to get to work, I don't have to worry about it (or the fact that we haven't put or winter tires, or tyres if you prefer, yet). I did notice more people on the bus today...
ReplyDeleteYes, I prefer tyres - tires looks wrong. I think if possible it's better to travel by public transport (transit if you prefer), but where we live it's difficult. VH uses the train and bus, and it takes him a long time. Perhaps the sudden change in temperature is why the door froze shut, as it was sunny yesterday, then snowing at night!
ReplyDeleteAndrew Sachs is 78??! How time flies, and how sad that he is still referred to as Manuel. The man is allowed no dignity by the media.
ReplyDeleteIf Jonathan Ross gets fired, well, good riddance. For the last few years he was unable to make a decent interview and he earned his salary with toilet humour a five years old would be afraid of. What he did to Sachs was borderline criminal harrassment. Whatever his popularity, he has to go.
ReplyDelete